SC - No Mint - please

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Mon Apr 23 11:58:06 PDT 2001

> So what alternatives is there to mint flavours, that is NOT a herb to =
> start with ? Rosemary can't have either.

*sigh* Commercial mint flavoring is sometimes synthetically made from orange and lemon
peels, but I don't know if it has salicylates in it.

> Potato, I can have small amounts of Red's, but NO brown. Just saying =
> "herbs and spices added" is not enough.  Salicylates stop my meds from =
> working ! but won't kill me, I just hurt. this makes a real reduction is =
> my enjoyment of feast [ 2 hrs later].
> medical requirements resulting in diet restrictions of herbs & plants. =
> Fibromyalgia
> http://public.csusm.edu/public/guests/nancym/SalFULL.html

Frankly, from a quick look at this list, you can't eat any kind of seasonsed period food.
Period. Everything on the herb list has near relatives that would be similar enough to do
the same thing, covering pretty much every seasoning except Nutmeg and Mace, but since
these are fruits, reading the website indicates that they probably have salicylates.

> Good news, is that when cooked some of the Salicylates are destroyed. =
> and most of the 'Sali' is in the skin of plants [ ah, peeled].

Because 'herbs' are generally herbaceous botanicals (that is, green leafy things), the
odds are pretty good that they aren't going to have a 'skin' you can remove.

On the other hand, I'm really uncertain about the validity of this list in terms of using
herbs in cooking, since many of the entries seem to be speaking of the properties of
essential oils -- or in fact synthetic oils, since most of the cosmetic products they are
discussing use synthetic oils and fragrances-- rather than actual consumption.

In particular I'm concerned about the mention that 'Celestial Seasonings and other herbal
blend teas' are ok, when I know for a fact that some Celestial Seasonings and Bigelow
teas consist of nothing but herbs that are on the counterindicated list.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net