SC - Servers eating free

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Thu Apr 26 19:10:09 PDT 2001

    Down here, the tradition has generally been for the servers to bring the
food out to the table, and then everyone plays pass-the-plate while the
server dispenses the food individually. I hate this - it's slow, sloppy, and
very labor intensive. Family serving is SO much easier, even with regular
servers - they just dash & drop, and don't have to stand there with a spoon
in their hands.
    When I plan a feast, I divide the number of guests by 8 - that gives me
the number of tables I need to portion for. Cooking for 250? That's 30
tables plus High table. When I set up the feast hall, I leave out ONLY the
number of tables that will be needed, put the others away and cover them
with something. Then I let the hall steward know that anyone setting up
another table is to be sent to the kitchen for butchering. (an unannounced
course . . .) You now have X number of seats physically present, and no way
to add more without your knowledge and immediate retribution. MUCH better
control.
    Instead of figuring a per person portion, I start figuring on table
portions, which makes the planning a WHOLE lot easier. Now I have a handle
on how many serving vessels needed, and I can cook table portions separately
if needed. That's where the glaringly modern aluminum pans come in - cook &
serve in the same vessel, which can then be thrown out. Muriatic acid (a
weak solution of Hydrochloric acid) tarnishes the pans very nicely.
    One other advantage to restricting the number of tables set up is that
crashers are IMMEDIATELY obvious - if someone with a token can't find a
seat, it's because someone WITHOUT a token is seated, and it's time to check
them. The hall steward also needs to keep an eye on the tables to make sure
that the table of 8 isn't suddenly a table of 10 or 12 as people 'make room'
for their friends. (a major source of annoyance)
    I learned long ago (and to my very great sorrow) NEVER to serve a buffet
style feast. I've seen people go through the line balancing 3 plates which
were overloaded to the max, and those coming in towards the end were left
with nothing. What was even more infuriating was the amount of wastage on
the part of those overloading their plates - most of that food wasn't eaten,
it got tossed. I don't comprehend that kind of mentality, but I'll be
switched if I ever do a buffet style feast for the SCA ever again.

    Sieggy