SC - Making Buffet-style serving work

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu Apr 26 23:16:33 PDT 2001

hey all from Anne-Marie

up here potlucks and buffet lines can work as well. As was previously
suggested, having a couple servers to help guide portion control is a good
thing.

another thing that has worked well is to have someone well known stand up
and give a little chat "I see we have lots of new people here. Welcome!
just so you know how this works, in a minute, we'll be asking you to go up
and get your food. Please be polite and take only a single portion...look
at the amount of food on the table, then look behind you at the number of
people who still need to go through the line. Please dont touch the food
with anything but the attatched utensils, and of course if there's anyone
still hungry, we'll be happy to let folks go through second (and third :))
times after everyones had a shot at going through once...." Educates the
new folks and if the people who should know better hear it again, that cant
hurt either....

We also will have a couple people who hold some representative stuff back
so half way through new food comes out...this saves the folks on the end of
the line from getting stuck with the KFC coleslaw :).

works well for us!

- --AM