SC - American sugar consumption

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 27 15:18:23 PDT 2001

> 125 pounds of sugar, PER PERSON, per year?????  Hell,
> that would be 500 pounds of sugar used in my house
> ALONE!  Not bloody likely, to be sure!  Maybe the
> folks who put these stats together only interviewed
> sugar junkies....
>
> Balthazar of Blackmoor

	Well, as you cook professionally, you probably don't eat as much
pre-prepared food as most Americans, but you still get more sugar in than
you think, I'll bet.  We aren't just talking about granulated table sugar
here, but all the little insidious places they sneak sugar into processed
foods without our knowing or caring.  Sugar can be used as a preservative,
flavor enhancer, etc. in products that we don't even think of being sweet.
High fructose corn syrup is in so many products, I'll bet even in the most
organic of kitchens, at least half a dozen boxes of prepared foods can be
found with substantial sugars in them.  As for the stats on artificial
sweeteners, however, I can safely say that somebody is eating my share, I
stay far away from Nutrasweet and most other saccharine/cyclamate/sucralose
stuff.
Christianna