SC - Hazelnuts are Filberts

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 27 18:29:29 PDT 2001

- --- Kirrily Robert <skud at infotrope.net> wrote:
> I just happened across an illustration in "Pleasures
> and Pastimes in
> Tudor England" (Alison Sim, Sutton Publishing 1999)
> which shows a chart
> of letters and pictures intended to help children
> learn the alphabet.
> Under "F" it has... a "filbert".  It looks like a
> nut and a leaf
> attached to a twig.  The detail is sketchy as it's
> just a woodcut, but
> it looks like it could be a hazelnut to me.
>
> K.

This lends credence to another possible origin for the
alternate name of the hazelnut...

English farmers are said to have called the hazelnut
"full beard", due to the dark appearance of it's shell
or skin... It's believed by some that this was later
shortened and distorted to 'filbert'...

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
"The half full glass and the half empty glass both contain the same amount of liquid...the half empty glass, however, has a fly in it."