SC - Re: Jellied Milk...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Apr 27 19:36:01 PDT 2001

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
> >
> > Solstice Studios wrote:
> > >
> > > I may regret this, but.... What is Jellied Milk? And do really want to know??
> >
> > Assuming this to be a period dish, since it is in with several other
> > such, it is probably some variant on the white leach, which would be a
> > sort of white jello-ish loafy-thing (leach as in able to be sliced into
> > leches) made from milk or almond milk with some kind of jelling agent
> > such as insinglass, hartshorn or calves' feet, probably lightly
> > sweetened, perhaps perfumed with rosewater and/or musk or some such, and
> > served decorated with any of several garnishes ranging from candied
> > seeds to gold leaf.
>
> A medieval Jello mold? My auntie would want to put a can of fruit
> cocktail and some miniature marshmallows in it...

Puhleeze. Make it softer, and thicken with agar rather than with
gelatin, and you get a sweet found all over Asia in various forms, and
even available in boxes to mix your own, sold under the name of
AlmonTofu. Traditionally eaten chilled with canned fruit in syrup, be it
fruit cocktail, lichees, longan, loquats, or any of several others...
it's actually a lot better than it sounds.

Adamantius, who, as a teenager was once ejected, with a friend, from the
Ziegfeld Theater for yelling, during a closeup feast scene in the 1938
Errol Flynn "Adventures of Robin Hood", "THERE'S _ALWAYS_ ROOM FOR JELL-O!!!"
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com