OT - Nagging doubts re tomato soup - was, Re: SC - American sugar consumption

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Apr 27 20:26:12 PDT 2001

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> "Laura C. Minnick" wrote:
> >
> > and there's sugar in that gawdawful white sludge that some people use
> > instead of the canonical mayo (Heh heh ;-).
>
> Heh heh indeed. Except it's a sort of unhealthy yellowish sludge,
> doubtless to misleadingly suggest a high proportion of egg yolk. But
> then this is a hot button, so...

Did you burn your finger? ;-)

> > There's even sugar in your
> > can of tomato soup. Unless you're eating your food fresh off the farm,
> > naked, you're likely to be getting sugar.
>
> Now, can anybody who would bother to retain memories on such a matter,
> tell me if they remember canned tomato soup, especially Campbell's (you
> know, the company in NEW JERSEY who own Pace foods, the famous _Texas_
> salsa people) being significantly redder and less creamy than it
> currently is, say, 20 years ago? Please understand that by using the
> word  "creamy", I am not necessarily implying the presence of cream.
> It's just that I had occasion to look at Campbell's tomato soup fairly
> recently, and was confused by the fact that this appeared to be Cream of
> Tomato soup, while the label read simply, "Tomato Soup", and this looked
> considerably different from the product I remembered from my childhood.
> Can anybody state whether there has been a formula change, or am I
> imagining things, or what?

Uh, last I knew it always said 'Tomato Soup'. And in the directions on
the back, it will tell you to use water for Tomato Soup, and milk for
Cream of Tomato Soup. That's how my mom always did it. Of course you
know, Master A, that they say the taste is one of the first things to
go... ;-D

> I'm still tinkering with my recreation of a tomato soup I had in a
> sleazy luncheonette/coffee shop in Binghamton, New York (home town of
> Rod Serling), allegedly an English tomato soup with horseradish and
> bacon. Will post if I ever get it right, but it kicked butt.

My favorite is a can of Campbell's, with a can of canned tomatoes, some
fresh sauteed green onions, some fresh basil, and maybe spinach, chopped
fine, served with french bread with monster cheese toasted on top...

> > But someone else is getting my share of alot of things, come to think of
> > it... ;-D
>
> Sorry, this has become topical since the release of the Broadway
> musical... "Where's _my_ share? Where's Leo Bloom's share? I want... I
> want... I WANT EVERYTHING I'VE EVER SEEN IN THE MOVIES!!!"

Ahh... "Springtime with Hitler..."

'Lainie