OT - Nagging doubts re tomato soup - was, Re: SC - American sugar consumption

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Apr 29 17:22:26 PDT 2001

Chris Stanifer wrote:

> How can a New England Chowder, containing Tomatoes, be
> at all legitimate?  You have not read the Chowder
> Doctrine closely enough...

No, actually, the trouble is that I have read it _too_ closely, or at
least more closely than the Revisionists. The style, as Officially
Defined by most of its religious adherents, is no older than 150 years,
I suspect, and it evolved alongside tomato-ey versions _in_ New England,
as chronicled in books by New Englanders such as Lydia Childs, who adds
a full cup, IIRC, of tomato _ketchup_ to her fish and clam chowders, and
she specifically states it is optional, but an improvement. She is
roughly contemporary, BTW, to Herman Melville, whose novel "Moby Dick"
provides us with one of the earliest, if  not _the_ earliest, written
recipe for  what we would recognize as New England clam chowder.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com