SC - yogurt Cheese 101?

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 09:09:24 PDT 2001

- --- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> Interesting. I can't remember any discussion
> previously on making cheese
> this way.
>
> Anyone know if this is a period technique? And
> another question for us
> neophytes, what exactly is yogart? Is it just an
> already curdled milk
> project? If so, then how is it different from
> cottage cheese? It
> certainly *looks* different.

Stefan,
I'm not sure if yoghurt cheese is period, but I seem
to recall something about it, somewhere (how's that
for definitive?)  One of the more learned scholars on
this list may be able to answer that for us...

However, as for the question "what exactly is yogart
(sic)"... Yoghurt is a milk product which has been
inocculated with bacteria, very similar to buttermilk,
which begin to coagulate the proteins and give it a
pleasantly tart taste.  It's cultured milk.  The
difference between yoghurt and cottage cheese is the
absence of rennet in yoghurt, among other factors.

Consequently, if you mix cottage cheese and yoghurt,
the combination produces a very high quality blend of
protein and carbohydrate...very effective if taken an
hour or so after a vigourous weight training workout!
Or, after a serious butt-kicking out on the dusty
battlefield....

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
"The half full glass and the half empty glass both contain the same amount of liquid...the half empty glass, however, has a fly in it."