SC - Betony and Lovage

Ann Sasahara ariann at nmia.com
Mon Apr 30 11:05:08 PDT 2001

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Jenne Heise wrote:
> > << The herb is also known as wood betony, >>
> > Are you sure?
> > Wood betony (Pedicularis canadensis) is a lousewort,  a native of eastern
> > North America. Perhaps your local 'white list' prohibits the importation of
> > this lovely woodlands plant.
>
> This is one of the great hazards of looking at medieval botanical texts... common names
> are very misleading. (How many plants are or were known as turnsole?)

To my recollection there are three betonys:

Betonica officinalis= wood betony=common betony
used w/ comfrey for treating external cuts and wounds
grows wild in England, was common in monastic gardens

Betonica aquatic=Brownwort=water figwort
used in poultices, ointments and infusions on wounds

Stachys officinalis=Woundwort=betony
used for treating external wounds, sores, ulcers and boils
used as a tisane and as a conserve.
Aelfric (c. 955) lists it as a charm against evil and a yellow dye

I would opt for Stachys o. since it's the only one that seems to have
been used internally.

Re: the previous discussion on lovage:

While I was sorting thru books for betony, Lovage was mentioned as a
medieval pot herb.  Apparently, there is a similar confusion among:
Lovage, Black Lovage and Alexanders.  Apparently the Alexander buds/Black
Lovage buds were used in sallets (Dining w/ Wm Shakespeare ) and with
whelks (Sallets, Humbles and Shrewsbury Cakes). I looked at photos: they
are similar looking members of the dill family.

HTH

Ariann