Circus Peanuts and an Announcement (was Re: SC - Peeps - OT)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 4 10:19:09 PDT 2001

'Lainie wrote:
>Congratulations, Gwynydd!

Gwynydd, i extend to you my congratulations as well. Have a wonderful
ceremony - and may your love grow ever stronger.

>'Circus Peanuts' aren't peanuts, and I don't think you can make them at
>home...

Too true...

>...you get them in the bagged candy aisle, next to the lemon drops
>and little pillow mints. They are basically sugar. And sugar. And sugar.
>Rather like stale marshmallows. They're light orange, and shaped like
>peanuts. I don't know that they have a particular flavor, other than
>sugar.

I always thought they were stale marshmallows :-) And yes, they have
a flavor. It isn't particular, it's peculiar, like some sort of
nameless chemical compound...

I also don't like candy corn, but at least it's pretty - i have a jar
full of various season candy corns in non-Halloween colors because
they look decorative.

And jelly beans, another over rated candy, although the tour of the
Jelly Belly factory was cool and the jelly tarantula was fun to eat...

I'm a dark chocolate kinda guy, and marzipan, and candied ginger...

>Real boiled peanuts, OTOH, might be what you are looking for...

Hmmm, i'll have to dig up my recipe for Indonesian peanuts, katjang
bumbu (katjang which in modern Indonesian spelling is kacang, means
peanuts; bumbu means spice). Not too circusy but real tasty. You put
toasted peanuts in a wok with soy sauce, sugar, and all sorts of
spices and cook on a medium-low heat until there's no liquid left and
the peanuts are coated with the soy-spice mix.

Anahita