SC - Cucumbers and the SCA

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 4 10:48:44 PDT 2001

more likely is that there is no positive documentation to the people who are beginning the information.  If you possess definitive source material support for the common usage of modern cucumbers in a given time and place, then give this info and biblio info to the people whom you hear speaking so.  Then they have a reason to propogate accurate information.  I keep a collection of FSR, Frequently Spread Rumor, cards that have info and sources listed.  Stuff like spices covering putrid flesh, and tomatoes in Italian sauces, use of mustard as ubiquitous condiment and such.  A couple of nice citations and their location are often appreciated by those who care.

niccolo difrancesco
(I'm not certain about cukes one way or the other myself, but never really thought about it or stopped to gather info . . . yet)
sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> I keep running up against the notion, among SCAdians, that cucumbers are not period. Thisis quite definitely a SCAdian Urban Myth, because I've never seen it in a print source.
So, where is it coming from? If we can figure out where 'pink isn't period' came from, we
should be able to trace this myth too.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net
"The worst thing I can say of a person is, 'they couldn't be bothered'."