SC - Cucumbers and the SCA

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 17:43:53 PDT 2001

- --- Jenne Heise <jenne at mail.browser.net> wrote:
> ...someone
> trudged round the museums in one major metro area,
> making records of the colors she saw
> on clothes in paintings of the period. Then she made
> a list of these, which became a
> pamphlet. Because she didn't find any depictions of
> pink, others took her work to
> indicate that no-one wore pink in period. *sigh*

This would be like someone going through my
refrigerator, and then assuming that "since it ain't
in there, it don't exist."

Like I always say...absence of evidence is not
evidence of absence.  Particularly when it comes to
fabric colors.  There are a few obvious exceptions,
mind you, but for the most part we can assume that
most of the colors we have today were available in
period.  Perhaps not in as bright a hue, or patterned
quite the same, but they were all pretty much
accounted for.

Balthazar of Blackmoor