SC - Cucumbers and the SCA

Ratboy kattratt at home.com
Wed Apr 4 21:08:10 PDT 2001

What I always find amazing is that folks keep repeating the phrase "It's
not period" for Natural Items... Man did not invent the cucumber.
For that matter mankind didn't invent "pink"
The world was actually in color back then and if you could find the
color in something that could be crushed, wet, mixed and spread into
fabric then chances are it was used.  (Roses, heck  blood!!!)
There is always the possibility that something is "period". What we
question is if it is documented.
It seems that the SCA ignores the explorations at times, but as the
explorations were occuring in "period" times, then I am sure that most
of the North/South American NATURAL  products are period. The things
that we are concerned about is whether or not we can concieve of the
people of the time using such and such item.
Well actually what we are concerned with is how can we prove what we
want to use is documentable...
The Cucumber in most of its varities was available in "period". Whether
or not it was available to the area of concentration the SCA has chosen
was the question... to those people who question me for eating my
cucumber I would dip my hand into a can of gas and tell them to show me
how petrol is not period, since oil has been around much longer than
humans have.
To those people who ask me if my cucumber is correct for the area I am
portraying then I will do the research.

Nicholas of Falcon Cree