SC - Historical varieties

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Thu Apr 5 05:38:52 PDT 2001

> << what do we make of the mentions that grapes were grown for table
>  and for verjuice in England, where wine-grape-growing was impractical?
>   >>
> Since grapes used for verjuice are , by definition, unripe grapes. The
> cooler, wetter climate of England, while making it difficult to grow grapes
> to maturity for  wine making on a large scale would have little or no impact
> on the production of unripe grapes.

Yes, that's certainly true. The question is, did the English cease growing wine grapes
during the times grapes wouldn't ripen to wine quality, and import the verjuice variety
vines from France? (Since they are a case of grapes for verjuice being grown in areas
where grapes for wine were NOT grown.)

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net
"He cooks eternally, imperturbably, suspended in the chaos of which the
Master interprets the meaning..." Kipling, "With the Night Mail"