SC - Almond milk left overs

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Sun Apr 8 12:47:26 PDT 2001

At 09:08 -0700 2001-04-08, Cathy Harding wrote:

> In the aftermath of the Baronial Banquet (Madrone, An Tir), I came home with
> a lot of the ground almonds which are left over from making Almond milk.  I
> seeem to remember that there are some recipes for things which can be made
> from them, like almond cheese.  However, I can't find any of them now.

Viandier has a ton of possibilities which start with whole almonds
and include the resulting crushed almonds in the dish -- there would
of course be some difference if using almond leftovers, since the
almond milk has already been removed.  Adding a bit of cow's milk
would, I think, restore the balance:

Almond cumin dish
Cassia soup
White capon soup
German meat, rabbit and chicken soup
Yellow Sauce
Perch mash
Capon white dish for an invalid
To make flans or tarts in Lent
Laces of white capon meat
Taille
Garlic Jance Sauce
Ginger Jance Sauce

There are some further recipes in Viandier where there is ambiguity
about whether the ground almonds would remain in the dish, or were
used solely to provide their milk.

Can one make good marzipan with almond leftovers?

Thorvald