SC - tart apples

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 12 00:53:05 PDT 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:
>I saw quinces only once this year and that was back in December at my
>specialty grocery store (HEB's Central Market).

Yes, quinces are a winter fruit, even here in the land of endless
summer (ha, ha)

>I do see a number of different apples at my local grocery store and
>even more at Central Market. But I have no idea which would be the
>"tart" ones. Any suggestions?

Granny Smiths. They're quite green, fairly large, and have rather a
bit of pucker power if you eat them out of hand - which i do - i
can't stand the insipid Red or Green Delicious apples. No character,
just sweet. Ick.

>Hmmm, those of you with access to the dictionaries, is there any
>connection between "tart" as used above as a taste description and
>"tart" as a pastry?

"Tart" as in "piquant" is from Middle English, from Old English teart, severe.

"Tart" as in pie is from French "tarte", meaning "pie".

Anahita