SC - Cordials laurel OT Iron Chef

Bethany Public Library betpulib at ptdprolog.net
Thu Apr 12 08:50:41 PDT 2001

Thanks, Katja, for both being organised and for having that info filed
mentally. It definately IS Mistress Crystal of the Westermark. I wanted to
say Waterford but knew that wasn't right.

And congrats, BTW for a strong showing at the Aethelmearc Iron Chef
competition last weekend. I had your team as one of the top two on my list
(one point difference), the final push being presentation (not that your
wasn't nice becasue it really was, but theirs was over the top and running
down the other side). I wish that historicity played a larger role in the
overall score (at about 30 percent), but since the overall winners (who went
for good food first and historicity third or so) are occaisional students of
mine, I can't cry too much ;). It was the popular consensus vote that
decided the competition. And I frankly have no clue about the "random"
judges---they weighed in at about 20 percent, and none of them were cooks or
gourmands.

Loved those almond sausages. I feel that you folks of team Egerdouce (who
fed me shamelesly) should post your recipes. Honestly all you folks reading
this---almond sausages with violet sauce. Made ONSITE, where the kitchen was
shared by four other teams! Amazing. And let's nor forget the "Golden
Apples". That was all really cool and you guys, Mistress Mathilde included,
deserved a huge round of applause. Hope it was fun for you. I enjoyed
judging.

Aoife

>>I'm sorry that there is such a strong opinion against cordials. There is a
Laurel in the Middle Kingdom who is writing a book on the various types of
historical liqueurs, cordials, syrups, etc. (I want to say that her name is
Mistress Crystal of W?????, but the memory is failing me a lot today).

>>>Hmm... Maybe it's Mistress Priscilla the Hun?

I believe the lady to whom you're referring is Crystal of the Westermark.
She and I had a lengthy discussion, on the AEthelmearc kingdom list last
spring, regarding what period beverages might be served at an SCA feast, and
she certainly knew a lot about various period alcoholic drinks. I have her
email if anyone wants it -- please contact me privately.

Katja