SC - special needs

Solstice Studios solstice at moscow.com
Sat Apr 14 10:38:13 PDT 2001

I think when it comes down to it, the person with special needs due to preference, health, or allergies, must take the primary responsibility for their conditions. I get sooo tired of people NOT informing us of what they need and then complaining when they don't have anything that they can eat.
It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough to be highly annoying.

We offer for people to tellus their needs, we make the recipes open for the public to read so that they can be informed, but there is no way that we can be mind readers.  Someone who is allergic to something should tell us so that the cooks can take care to avoid or manage offending substances
in the appropirate fashion as much as possible.

And if that fails, people can provide their own food-- with my own needs, I have had the need to do that everytime.  Its just a matter of planning.

Now the question is, how to get folks WITH special needs talking back instead of ignoring the opportunities for input. I have no idea why they just ignore everything unless they just prefer to complain.  Mind you, it doesn't happen often, but I do worry that someone somewhere is going to keep
their mouth shut on something important that WE need to know.  But then these folks also tend to tbe ones that are deathly allergic to bee stings and never carry their kit with them at campouts in the woods.....Argh never mind, its just my pet peeve, not like youcouldn't tell :)

Anyone here have methods of feast advertising that works to get people taking action to be informed and to inform the cooks?

- -Aleska