SC - special needs

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Apr 15 23:57:58 PDT 2001

"R. Del Boccio" wrote:

> Lord Ras, I must respectfully disagree with you on "special
> needs."  We need to realize that the SCA is subject to the
> mundane laws of the land, one of which is the Americans with
> Disabilities Act.

Sorry to butt in here, but no, we're not, at least not how you're
suggesting.

The ADA applies to the workplace (as in accomodation for employees) and
for public accomodation, as in restaurants, offices, etc. We are a
private non-profit, we do not own buildings, we are not publicly funded.
Our corporate employees must be accomodated, but attendees at events?
No. It is honorable and good to think of those among us who have
disabilities when we plan events and look for site. But we are not
required to do so by the ADA.

Some local governments may have regulations for large gatherings. They
usually have rules about how many porta-privies you must have per the
number of attendees, and usually there is a portion therof that must be
handicap-accessible. That is local regulation, not the ADA.

The athletic activities in the SCA have little to do with accomodation
for the disabled on site. When someone wants to participate, and can do
so with no danger to others, any further risk falls on themselves (and
we all sign waivers). The ADA does not cover athletic activities nor was
it meant to.

Are there issues happening that I haven't heard about?

'Lainie
(who BTW is legally handicapped)