SC - "Fake" ypocras

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Apr 17 02:40:56 PDT 2001

UlfR wrote:

> "Lambs wool" made with non-alcoholic cider?

And what is that? I've never heard of it. (There's a lot of drinks I've
never heard of. Mostly I'm a wine or microbrew person if I drink at
all.)

> What is the status of
> tisanes of varius kinds? IIRC they were all medical.

I don't know if your Jay Random Teenager would be interested. I'm trying
to figure out stuff that is familiar and conforting and likely to make
them feel welcome. Especially since all too often anymore the SCA is not
a terribly welcoming place for teens.

> /UlfR
>  Which ones of Chausers stories? Me, I'll have to memorize some of the
>  thattir (short sagas) out of the Icelandic corpus. And some of the more
>  outrageous parts of the elder Edda. You can't beat two people shouting
>  inventive insults to each other across a strait.

Well, it's the Egil Skallagrimsson Memorial Tourney (affectionately
known as Egils) so lots of folks will be telling bits of Egil's Saga (I
like the bit where he puked in the innkeeper's face) so I will be
especially interested in being forcefully Gothic :-) and telling tales
from my period.

Right now I figure the Miller's Tale (bawdy- the kids will love it) and
the Wife of Bath's Tale (Gawain and the Loathly Lady- a feminist moral
tale), maybe Chanticleer, maybe the Reeve's Tale (though it is just
mean-spirited so maybe I won't).

I'm also thinking about talking Seumas (James) into making a batch or
two of gingerbrede to pass around- he made some this last weekend that
was quite nice and I think folks would like it.

'Lainie