Dansk kogebog A: haerrae salsae (was: SC - On topic)

UlfR parlei-sc at algonet.se
Tue Apr 17 04:06:02 PDT 2001

Nanna Rognvaldardottir <nanna at idunn.is> [2001.04.17] wrote:
> >I recently got my hands on a (borrowed) copy of Veirups "Til taffel hos
> Kong
> >Valdemar" (Systime A/S, Viborg, Denmark, 1994). This is supposedly the
> >oldest surviving European cookbook (dated to 1300). Any comments?
>
> Yes, this is the so-called Harpestreng manuscript (or rather, the two Danish
> versions of it) that we have sometimes discussed - Stefan has a Harpestreng
> file in his Florilegium.

Ahh, so that's the one. Now I'm much better oriented.

> >In particular I'm looking at the camelina recipie (though it calles it
> >"hærræ salsæ" -- "lords sauce" -- it is to my mind pretty clearly a
> >camelina). Apart from the usual camelina spices (cloves, nutmeg, pepper,
> >cinnamon, and ginger) it also has cardamons. Has anyone seen that in any
> >other camelina recipie?
>
> Got to be the Scandinavian influence. - This is the Lord's Sauce (if you
> make it into a sauce) or Lord's Salt (if you make a preserving mixture) that
> is sometimes mentioned here.

Explains the next entry, which is a long term marinading of venison or
goose using this. Interesting...

> >The original recipie:
>
> >Quomodo temperetur salsum dominorum et quam diu durat
> >Man skal takæ gørfærs nathlaæ. oc muskat. cardemomum. piper. cinamomum
> >thæt ær kaniæl. oc ingifær. allæ iæfn wæghnæ. tho swa at kaniæl ær æm
> >mykæt sum allæ hinæ andræ. oc slyk tu stekt brøth sum allæ hinæ andræ.
> >oc støtæ thæm alla samæn. oc malæ mæth stærk ædykæ oc latæ .i. en
> >leghæl. That ær hærræ salsæ. oc ær goth et halft aar.
>
> Shouldn't it be "gørfærs naghlaæ", not "gørfærs nathlaæ"? (but maybe not,
> the book is at home and I'm at work, so I'm quoting from memory).

Uhm, I typed it in yesterday, in a language I can make out more or less.
You are most likely correct.

/UlfR

- --
UlfR                                                 parlei-sc at algonet.se