SC - period bear meat recipes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Apr 17 23:13:36 PDT 2001

> > > Although that doesn't give us anything about how a bear would taste
> >
> >Stringy, greasy, and somewhat sweet for some reason.
> >
> >Constance
>
> IIRC, Enrique de Villena (mid 1400s) discusses the consumption of bear in
> northern Spain.  He says that only peasants and laborers eat it.
>
> Also IIRC, bears and pigs are somewhat related taxonomically, which might
> explain the sweetish taste of the flesh.  Or it could just be the diet of
> the individual bear.
>
> Vicente

There are several period recipes for bear meat and several referances
to period bear meat recipes in this file in the FOOD section of the
Florilegium:
exotic-meats-msg  (70K)  4/ 6/01    Period and SCA exotic meats. Swans,
ostrich,
                                       crawfish, dormice, cat.

BTW - This is my "catch-all" file for period meat recipes that don't have
another file to go into, so it is often worth checking for meats that
don't have their own file.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net