SC - special needs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Apr 18 15:03:22 PDT 2001

Chris Stanifer wrote:

> Which brings us to the opposite end of the spectrum...
> Try working in a "normal" professional kitchen when
> you are 6' 4" tall.  Those "ordinary tabletops" you
> speak so highly of are, in fact, back breakers for
> someone as tall as myself.  Not to mention the low
> shelf heights, low oven heights, and, most annoying of
> all, the low clearance on things such as oven hoods
> and dish racks...ouch!  I've had people ask me "why
> don't you wear one of those tall chef's hats?"  I wear
> a nice, low-profile baseball hat, which doesn't get
> knocked off my head every five seconds, and allows me
> to walk through a doorway without ducking.

Yes, that's a problem. On the other hand, there are a fair number of
professional kitchen activities that are difficult for those of us in
the medium-tall range as well (5' 11 3/4"). I actually prefer the
slightly higher countertops, but in most people's home kitchens there's
a particular angle at which I have to lean forward that is a positive
breeding ground for backaches.

Then again, you must have as much fun as I do when peering into those
allegedly eye-level salamanders. On the other hand, I have a good friend
who is probably 4' 11", who worked the line standing on an inverted
steel bain-marie. She hates salamanders, too.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com