SC - NEED AN OPINION

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 19 07:35:29 PDT 2001

> Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:>
><<<<  If I pack hot boneless chicken cutlets in foil and then wrap in newspaper and then store them in a picnic cooler.  Will they go bad in 4 hours? Or do you think they will still be OK to eat? >>>>>

>Adamantius added:
><<SNIP>>>
Ultimately, the question is, for how much of that four hours will your
chicken be under 140 degrees Fahrenheit? >>>>

A terribly simple solution that I have found to boost the duration of heated food in coolers is an item often used for arthritis.  Take an impecably clean sock (or terricloth towl folded in half and sides sewn closed) and put within 1 pound of rice.  Tie end in a knot (or sew the edge closed).  This isem is now ready to use.

Heat on high in a microwave oven for 2 minutes.  It will be VERY hot when you remove it, so use pads.  Put immediately in the cooler and close the lid (if you use over the size that will hold 16 drinks, you''ll need more of these jewels).  It will now heat the cooler for you.  You may now put your hot food into it without having the heat sucked out to heat the environment around it.  Reheat your rice bag again, and return to the cooler with the food, and close up.  I have found that this adds from 60 to 90 minutes to the holding time for food in insulated containers.

***  For use on sore/arthritic joints, only heat about 30 to 45 seconds.  Make sure it doens;t burn to hold it when squiching the rice.  It will hold therapeutic temperature for over an hour.  If it start holding temps for too short a time, then mist the sack a LITTLE with water before heating it or change the rice.  It will last for years before completely wearing out.  Pretty good for about a $1.00 investm,ent in materials!!

pacem et bonum,

niccolo difrancesco