SC - Profit was Opinions?

DeeWolff at aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Thu Apr 19 15:39:45 PDT 2001

Hi Micaylah,

Again, where you are truly matters with sites.

My sister lives in Rising Waters.Ealdormere.
She tells me sites are easy and cheap. You have lots of land,and sites are easy to find..

Ostgardr is in NYC and surrounding suburbs.

Normal rents here are sky high compared to some other places. $1000 a month rents you a one room studio. Imagine then a hall..same problem.

If we are lucky enough to find a hall, it usually doesn't have a kitchen, or a place to run lists, and forget about parking...

We have about 600+ members in our local group alone, when we run a kingdom event, 800-900 event goers is not an abnormal figure. Now  try and find a site that holds that amount in NYC. Near impossible!!  I recently did a site search, and when I told them how many people to expect, they ran in terror!( I have done a Crown Tourney for 900 and a university for 400, as well as other events from the 100-300 range <our smaller events)

Now, we do use the suburbs surrounding NYC, but you are talking "wealthy" people..The Ex-president lives in one of our cantons,Donald Trump in another, Puff Daddy in another. The people who own these rental sites expect and get their exhorbitant fees from other groups so they look at us and expect the same.

A normal night out in NYC:
$10 per person for a movie
$4 popcorn (each)
$4 soda(each)
A good,inexpensive meal gets $25 per person, a sandwich runs $8, McDonalds is about $6
Gas is hovering around $1.80 this week

So.....asking $15 for an SCA event with all entertainment included, with meals  and $25 for the weekend (3 meals, entertainment) is a real bargain around here.

ALso, because of space limitations we often don't have off board. We need the paying feast goers to help pay the cost of the hall..because many people will yell at an $8 site fee with no food, but won't for a $15 fee with food.

Andrea