SC - Opinions?

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Fri Apr 20 06:17:42 PDT 2001

> >Now, there
> >is a sentiment in my kingdom that people working the event should get fed
> >specially, so
> >Royalty probably comes under that, along with Troll, MOL, feast cooks, etc.
>
> Now there's a trend I'd hate to see come into play. I thought one of the
> ideas behind the SCA is that everyone participates and that includes work.
> If you feed constables, cooks,  and royalty to begin with, it leads to
> servers, heralds, artisans, whatever. Just because someone is sitting down
> to dinner, doesn't mean they haven't already worked their tails off in some
> other area or have given themselves permission to relax at this specific
> event. If you start waiving fees to workers, it becomes not only
> subjective, but eventually won't leave many people to pay anything.

Ooops. What I said was left open to misinterpretation. I wasn't talking about waiving
fees, but about spending a couple of bucks for special or different food. (Presumably the
people working the event have trolled in normally.) For instance, at Crown, the main meat
food is soup, but we're to provide meat/cheese trays for royalty, MOL, troll, and a
special serving of meat/cheese and the rest of the dayboard for the fighters at the
quarter-finals. MOL and troll also have to have their hard-boiled eggs peeled for them.
(The difficulty of managing soup and peeling eggs while doing paperwork was explained at
length. ;) ) I believe other food is being set out in the Royal Room for the entourage,
but if I know our autocrat, the totals for the special food will be only a drop in the
bucket of the food budget. We're also donating some special food for the Royals'
dayboard... Not to mention the Mountain Dew [Soda] and other soda for the Royals.

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net