SC - figs

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 23 11:27:45 PDT 2001

Good day all.  I just got back from my local used book store where I found
(under the shelf rack apparently dropped or stashed) The Williamsburg Art of
Cookery or, Accomplish'd Gentlewoman' Companion.  It was first printed in
1742 (way OOP I know) but it is a delightful little book.

I do have a question about one of the recipes I have run across thusfar.
It's for pickled figs.

The recipe reads; Bring to a boil one quart of vinegar, five sticks
cinnamon, on tablespoon each whole cloves, allspice, and celery seed.  Drop
in figs ashed and dried.  Cook twenty minutes

There is no date for the recipe.  I am relatively certain there was no
celery seed in period but everything else I am pretty sure was.  Anyway, it
sounds like a good recipe for the summer months served cold (recipe doesn't
say).  Does anyone out there have any ideas about substituting the celery
seed (or anything else) to make it a more period dish so I may use at a
feast or hospitality?

Thanks
Olwen