SC - Egg source question

Chip jallen at multipro.com
Mon Apr 23 12:08:13 PDT 2001

List ahoy,

At Gulf Wars last month, I was first exposed to the wonderful morsels
of heaven that men call "pickled quail eggs".  Apparently a local
delicacy, they were around $4 for a smallish jar so I'll not soon be
serving these at feast.

I'm toying with various egg-pickling recipes for an upcoming feast and
using run-of-the-mill chicken eggs for now.  Knowing that in period,
few (certainly not all) eggs were as large as the Jumbo,  I have in
the past served 'Medium' chicken eggs.  But I'm having a diablo of a
time finding anything smaller so as to either simulate quail eggs or
come closer to period sizing when served (whole, boiled, pickled).

Are there, in general, places to get small eggs?  I don't know of any
poultry farms near me (middle TN).