SC - Food restrictions at feasts

LadyPDC at aol.com LadyPDC at aol.com
Tue Apr 24 15:25:00 PDT 2001

- --part1_a4.131753bf.2817573c_boundary

In a message dated 4/24/01 3:07:41 PM Mountain Daylight Time, LrdRas at aol.com
writes:

> I have also been known to serve beggars if they show
> up at the back door. Whether they have paid or not is irrelevant since
> feeding the poor is a real virtue. Certainly  a better path to follow than
> refusing them service because of profit motivation or other selfish
> reasons.
> Such a gesture is also very period and, IMO, oneof  the best of the Middle
> Ages worth preserving. As they say, "but by the grace of God, go there I."
>
> Ras

Actually I have two takes on this.  Both from the last feast I did.

First of all, we learned after the event by virtue of some counting done by
the servers (a home school class) that 30+ people had sat down to eat feast
without paying a cent.  I personally knew of several people who did not
either attend the event or who skipped feast because of financial concerns.
Yet these other 30 people decided that they had a right to eat without
paying.  What they did was unfair to the others who did pay for feast, to the
people who did not get to eat the feast and were in genuine financial need,
to the autocrat who had to explain that the event lost money because of pre
reserved feast spots not claimed and yet all spots at the table being filled
with 30 unpaid, and ultimately they were unfair to the final recipients of
the "left overs".

You see, we made arrangements to take left overs if any to a local shelter
for abused women and children.  Yes, we did have some and they were much
appreciated at this place.  This is where our "charity" similar to the
feeding of the poor in the middle ages should be.  Not to fill the belly for
free of people who could easily afford to pay for the meal and just decided
that since it was easy to steal then it should be done.

Yes, we have since instituted methods (permanent feast tokens which must be
turned in to sit down to eat) to prevent this in the future.  Am I the only
one who finds it sad that an organization based on honorable conduct should
have to resort to such minute checking for thieves?

Constance

- --part1_a4.131753bf.2817573c_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  COLOR="#0000ff" SIZE=3><B>In a message dated 4/24/01 3:07:41 PM Mountain Daylight Time, LrdRas at aol.com