SC - Buttermilk

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Apr 25 18:13:21 PDT 2001

In a message dated 4/25/01 9:07:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
olwentheodd at hotmail.com writes:

<< If it is dead hot summer and you are churning for too long the milk can
sour
 up some.  Mostly what we used to drink out of the hand churn was not sour,
 just a little lumpy sometimes.  >>

You are describing 'sweet creamery butter'. A 10 on the ick scale factor with
10 being the ickiest. Having been raised on a farm, I can assure you that
neither we nor our neighbors made 'sweet' butter.

The common practise was to leave the whole milk sitting on the counter
overnight with a cheesecloth over the top of the container. By morning, the
natural bacteria would have  done its job. The cream which seperated during
the night was skimmed off the top and churned into 'real' butter. The liquid
which seperated from the cream during this process was refrigerated and
served ice cold for a deliscious tangy treat (usually with mashed potatoes,
gravy, corn, southern fried chicken and buttermilk biscuits as side dishes.
:-)).

Ras