SC - Re: Sugar

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Apr 29 15:12:26 PDT 2001

In a message dated 4/27/01 11:31:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jugglethis at yahoo.com writes:

<< Unfortunately sugar does not pack the same firepower
 as do cinnamon or nutmeg.  It takes considerably more
 sugar to sweeten a dish than it does the latter to
 spice it.

 Balthazar of Blackmoor >>

True but I have found that a touch of sugar while not lending sweetness does
smooth the rough edges.  I think it in error to believe that most medieval
dishes calling for sugar were intended to be actually 'sweet'. A good example
would  the use of a pinch of sugar when cooking vegetables (to bring out the
fresh taste) and its use in tomato products (to tone down the undesirable
acid bite of under ripened fruit). Small amount added to certain meat dishes
add a nice but subtle caramel flavor, etc.

Ras