[Sca-cooks] Wine ice

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 1 09:27:26 PDT 2001

Just because people want to know...  Here is what I can find so far on
documentable SCA-period ice goodies.

Magia Naturalis by Giambattista della Porta [1535-1615]
1658 English Translation
http://members.tscnet.com/pages/omard1/jportat5.html

Book XIV, "Of Cookery"
Chapter XI, "Of Diverse Confections of Wines."
http://members.tscnet.com/pages/omard1/jportac14.html

"Wine may freeze in Glasses."

Because of the chief thing desired at feasts, is that Wine cold as ice
may be drunk, especially in summer.  I will teach you how Wine shall
presently, not only grow cold, but freeze, that you cannot drink it but
by sucking, and drawing in of your breath.  Put Wine into a Vial, and
put a little water to it, that it may turn to ice the sooner.  Then cast
snow into a wooden vessel, and strew into it Saltpeter, powdered, or the
cleansing of Saltpeter, called vulgarly Salazzo.  Turn the Vial in the
snow, and it will congeal by degrees.  Some keep snow all the summer.
Let water boil in Brass kettles, and pour it into great bowls, and set
them in the frosty cold air.  It will freeze, and grow harder than snow,
and last longer.