[Sca-cooks] Pictures of Medieval Food

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Fri Aug 3 13:40:25 PDT 2001

An enquiry a while ago, the copy of which i
inadvertently deleted from my mailbox, had as its
subject books regarding the appearance and form of
medieval foods. I have now relocated the book I
was anbout to recommend at the time, namely:

Bruno Laurioux: Le Moyen Age a Table (Adam Biro,
Paris 1989)

(An English translation may well be available. A
German one is)

Its text is restricted largely to france, but it
provides a wealth of pictorial sources (mostly
manuscript illuminations, with a leavening of
stained glass windows, tableware and sculpture)
from all over Europe regarding medieval food,
eating habits and table manners, much of it in
color.

Also, the text isn't half bad :-)

Hail and Farewell

Giano