[Sca-cooks] REPLY: Trenchers--Books

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Aug 5 16:18:00 PDT 2001

I am seeking references to trenchers in both primary and secondary
sources
for a paper I am preparing.  Does anyone have any references handy?

Bear
Johnnae llyn Lewis sends greetings.
Having sent the definition in a previous message, I will
send along a couple of citations to books that I don't think have been
mentioned.

You didn't include a time period, so I am including some material
that is post 1600.

Dinner Is Served.
Author:  Brett, Gerald
1968, 1969 2 editions one US and one UK.

The Appetite and the Eye. Food and Society 2.
Editor:  C. Anne Wilson.1991 {Leeds Conference}
Contains "Decoration of the Tudor and Stuart Table"
by Peter Brears.  pp.56-97. Trenchers appear pp.74-78.

Brears also mentions them in passing in his new
book All The King's Cooks.

Trammels, trenchers, and tartlets /
Author(s): Carlo, Joyce W.
Publication: Old Saybrook, Conn. : Peregrine Press,
Year: 1982

Hope this helps.

Johnna Holloway