[Sca-cooks] Re: Shepherd's Pies

Bethra Spicewell christina_elisabeth at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 20:33:34 PDT 2001

 It must be the regional differences. Here in the NorthEast (NH-VT)
it's most often made with corn. Sometimes the mashed potatoes get a
cheese topping. Some of the family-style restaurants have it as a daily
special - usually Wednesdays.
  Never had any made with lamb, but I do have a couple of recipies (in
my overflowing collection of here-n-now cookbooks) for it that way -
using leftevers (NOT a typo - if they don't get reused quickly they ARE
left for-ever)
 None "with actual shepherd on top", either

  On topic tho -- IS there any evidence for casserole type dishes in
(European) period ? The only ones I've found that come close are some
of the Middle Eastern stuff.
  Always looking for new ways to surprise friends and relitives with
"ancient" food

Bethra

Christina Elisabeth de la Griffon Riant
Barony of Stonemarche  EK