[Sca-cooks] Back from Pennsic

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 21 06:51:29 PDT 2001

Hello everyone, I'm baaaaack!

It's nice to see that everybody played
nice and even kept on topic. (gasp!)

Pennsic went very well and I trust
everyone got home safely. I met some wonderful
people from this list. That's one of the best
things about Pennsic, I get to see the real
people who are often just words on a page.

The cook's potluck was fantastic. I
arrived an hour late and still left
stuffed. I'm surprised there hasn't been
any discussion on the dishes brought.

Let's see...there was the fantastic accidental
lamb dish. (I'll let others describe the incident.)
Braised cucumbers, honeyed dates, white sals (that
I had mistaken for chocolate mousse), blanche porrey,
oh...lots o stuff. Please post what you brought and
recipes.

I didn't do the "Iron Chef" competition because I
didn't know what campsite was running it.

I did do a knighting vigil buffet. Imagine having
no idea what to make and running to a rural supermarket
to make a fancy buffet for approx. 100 people with only
one campstove to use.

I drove my poor assistant crazy by running all through
the store several times muttering to myself.

The final result was well appreciated by both the
candidate and attendees.

Caviar with sour cream on fancy crackers (the store didn't
have smoked salmon.)

Chocolate dipped cheesecake bites.

Cherry tomatoes hollowed out and filled with ham salad
or chicken salad.

Roasted Pepper Hummous with pita.

Crackers with goat cheese and a roasted pepper slice.

Pumpernickle slices with horseradish mayo, deli roast beef,
and a sprinkle of curry spice.

Veggie Quesadillas.

"Angel Wings" (lightly fried dough cookies with powered
sugar)

At least everything was eaten. The next morning I made
breakfast burritos from some of the leftover ingredients.

Glad to be back.

Gunthar