[Sca-cooks] Applying differing techinques (OT)

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 23 08:39:45 PDT 2001

>He had a little trouble with some of the mechanics of it,
>until I told him, just before he began an overhand cast,
>"Shomen Uchi."  (This is one name for
>the most basic forward katana stroke, as well as a similar
>movement with the empty hands.) Similarly, we did a sidearmed
>cast ("Yokomen Uchi.").

>Adamantius

Very interesting. I've had a similar situation in which I
was fighting Duke Inman MacMoor (one of the best fighters
in the SCA). I had a temple shot he could never understand
the mechanics of. But, since we are both black belts as well
as white belts, I indicated that it was just a modified
"shuto" (knife hand strike) to the temple. With that he
understood and promptly beat the tar out of me with my own
shot.

I've had plans to teach a class in armored combat using
techniques of karate, dance, fencing, etc...as guidelines.

Gunthr