[Sca-cooks] Timbales/Tortas

E. Rain raghead at liripipe.com
Wed Aug 29 13:15:41 PDT 2001

Adamantius wrote:
> >> but timbale like dishes do appear
> >> in the medieval Italian corpus:
> >
> I can't and won't say they don't, but it should be noted that
> at least modern timbale are more or less the containers they're cooked in,
> with a huge variety of ingredients and varying cooking methods. Some have
> a lining pastry, many don't, some are essentially schtuff mixed with
> custard and baked in a bain-marie. and most of them are fairly small,
along the
> lines of a double shot glass. Which is not to say they could not share a
> common ancestry with Italian torta of various types, but then a lot of
Italian
> tortas from period have survived, in largely unchanged form, to the
present day.

Hmm, sounds like you're mostly seeing Timballini (single serving timbale) I
usually think of timbale on the grand scale myself.

Here's the modern definition from Fant & Isaac's Dictionary of Italian
Cuisine:
"Timballo - Timbale; traditionally, a pie or varied ingredients molded and
baked; sometimes, =Bomba; sometimes a filled pastry.  Today, even lasagna is
sometimes classed as a kind of timballo.  A timballetto or timballino is an
individual, unmolded serving."

Very open to interpretation :->

FYI the term comes from Timpano, an Italian word for drum, and does not seem
to have been used in a culinary context pre 1600 (Florio doesn't include it
& I haven't come across it looking at various earlier cookbooks) the first
definite citation I can find right now is 1778, per the PPC 61 article, If
anyone has the full text of scappi & wants to skim for timbale I'd love to
have that link confirmed, it's not among the excepts included in Faccioli.
14th & 15th c recipes seem to use only variants of the word torta...

Vincente asked:
> This sounds a lot like the "timpano" served in "The Big
> Night".

that's because Timbales & Timpanos are the same yummy creature

> Eden, do you have the texts/translations?  These sound
> absolutely fantastic.

I've only done a partial redaction so far, but yeah, it's shaping up pretty
amazingly.

PPC 59 has the 14th c. Neapolitan text for Torta Parmesana I think
translated into English.
If you can read 14th c. Venetian ;-> it's also on Thomas' website:
http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/frati.htm  recipe#112  more Italian
versions can be found in Faccioli's "L'arte della cucina in Italia"
Failing that, the proceedings of this years Oxford Symposium on Food &
Cookery should include my translation of the 14th c. Tuscan version :->

And thanks Adamantius for sending me upstairs to look for a reference & thus
saving my blueberry pie from overcooking ;->

Eden

warning dates on the calendar may be closer than they appear!

raghead at liripipe.com