[Sca-cooks] To Cook a 'Coon

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Aug 3 05:59:01 PDT 2001

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com wrote:

> Forgot to mention that Swift was insane most of his life which would account
> for the weird scenes in Gullivers Travels.

Not forgot, simply neglected to mention speculation for which there
appears to be little or no hard evidence. What seems to be pretty
supportable is that he had a chronic inner ear disease _late in life_
which caused vertigo, leading some to suspect he was an epileptic, which
appears not to have been the case, but for many, especially in the
eighteenth century, epilepsy and insanity were, to some extent, synonymous.

I haven't seen anything in biographies of Swift to suggest that he was
insane for most of his life. In fact, there seems to be far more
circumstantial evidence to suggest that Lewis Carrol was a child
molester (which he was not, BTW) than evidence for Swift's insanity,
unless we're talking about senile dementia very late in life.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com