[Sca-cooks] Jonathan Swift was an Optimist

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Fri Aug 3 11:30:06 PDT 2001

    Actually, this was from Kansas, and had very little of the history of
that state in the test. The rules of grammar, arithmetic, US history,
orthography, and geography haven't changed much. I remember the year that
education changed from academics to making us 'well rounded people'. When I
went from 8th to 9th grade, we went from hard subjects to warm, fuzzy
subjects. 1968 . . . the year they stopped teaching, and became babysitters.
I spent 3 years trying to figure out why they were more concerned with my
'self image' than preparing me for college.
    And when I went to IU (Bloomington) after I got out of the Marines, it
felt SOOO good to be actually leaning something! Of course, by then I had no
fear of professors, and had an awful lot of fun arguing with them. Kept a
3.81 GPA in spite of being the campus reactionary.
    I'll go ahead and post it - if anyone wants to take a crack at it,
enjoy. But don't feel bad if you don't pass . . . blame the system!

    Sieggy