[Sca-cooks] Food question

Prydwen gryphon at carlsbadnm.com
Sun Aug 5 10:17:10 PDT 2001

Hi Elizabeth,

I hope that it's a young goat, as they taste the best, like most prefer
lamb to mutton.  Out here (New Mexico) cabrito is eaten a lot.  The most
successful method is pit cooking where it cooks long and slow, with onions,
garlic, rosemary, chile, cumin, sage( in various combinations) and veggies
.  For spit cooking, the same would hold true, with lots of basting to keep
it moist and not too close to the fire to prevent charring.  Young goat is
a tender meat, but has very little fat, so it will need a basting
sauce.  Start with olive oil and garlic, then work from a Greek
(lemon-based marinade and basting sauce?)or Spanish herb background and you
can probably get very period and tasty too. 8^)  I hope I've helped a little.

Prydwen