[Sca-cooks] another question

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sat Aug 4 11:58:13 PDT 2001

>   _1000 Eggs_ &  _Miscellany_  are an excellant start.   _An Ordinance of
> Pottage_ edited by Constance B.  Hieatt is another good one  {tho the
> lessons learned from that book is to COMPARE  the original with the
> redaction  -- there are leaps of imagination there!}   Milham's  version of
> Apicus,  T.  Sculley's books:  _Medieval French Cookery_ and another title
> that doesn't come quickly to mind {but at least you have authors/editors}

As a book to actually start you 'cooking medieval' I'd recommend _The
Medieval Kitchen_ by Redon, et. al. It certainly worked for me.
I have _An Ordinance of Pottage_ but am constantly frustrated by the way
it is organized and laid out, and have yet to try any recipes from it,
despite determined feints from time to time. I've been very happy working
with recipes from the online _Miscellany_ and also from _Take 1000 eggs_.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa