[Sca-cooks] Food question//Goat?

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Aug 5 10:31:36 PDT 2001

Johnnae llyn Lewis sends greetings.

I have had some thoughts about cooking goat.
One is that there are parts of this country where
they actually barbecue it... so there should
be recipes for that. This might serve to give you
the cooking times for spit roasting one over a
fire as opposed to oven roasting one. Offhand,
I suppose it would be close to the times required
for mutton.

The other is that there should be Irish recipes,
because it was eaten in the west of Ireland up until
the 1940's. Made a change from potatoes three times a day.
There is not much on Manx cookery, except for what has
been included in the various Celtic compilations. If I get time
before we leave for holiday, I'll see if I can turn up
a real Manx volume. I also have a new book on Anglo-Saxon
(well, new for me since I finally broke down and bought it)
that might prove valuable.

Since the feast is not until October, I guess you have time to
ponder it all for awhile.

Johnna Holloway