[Sca-cooks] Gunpowder, not Noodles/Pasta

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Aug 5 19:49:00 PDT 2001

I can cite a source for even earlier.

Roger Bacon Philosopher,
surnamed DOCTOR MIRABILIS, b. at Ilchester, Somersetshire, about
                          1214; d. at Oxford, perhaps 11 June, 1294.

"He was the first person in the
West to give exact directions for making gunpowder (1242); and,
though he knew that, if confined, it would have great power and
might be useful in war, he failed to speculate further."
from the New Catholic Encyclopedia and Encyclopedia Britannica.

I'd have to wonder about the precision of the date unless the document
actually exists.

Johnna