[Sca-cooks] Gunpowder, not Noodles/Pasta

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Aug 6 04:27:38 PDT 2001

Johnnae sends early am greetings.

My one book on Science and the Secrets of Nature(Eamon, 1994) suggested
several other sources on Bacon but somehow I am not tempted
to drive in and try to park on central campus today in 100 degree
heat to try and answer this. Of course, I rather like the book
by the British Librarian that asserted that Marco Polo never
went to China at all. She did a food history analysis of what
wasn't mentioned in his travels.
I suspect that there is a solid reason why the 1240 something dates
come up, and it maybe that there are Vatican records. Another
research angle would be to run this question from the other end
and go through the Chinese tech/sci lit that's now available in
English and see what that says. Which one of these years, I will
do with regard to food technology... but not anytime soon.
Eamon also suggested looking at Lynn White and Lynn Thorndyke
on medieval technology and the "secrets" literature.

Johnna Holloway