[Sca-cooks] RE: New Question

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Aug 6 19:16:17 PDT 2001

This recipe comes out of Georgia and is found on page 337 of
Smokehouse Ham, Spoon Bread & Scuppernong Wine by Dabney.

Cherrylog Green Tomato Pickles

1/2 peck tomatoes
3 green peppers
3 onions
salt as required
2 cups vinegar

Chop the tomatoes, peppers, and onions, put in a sieve and drain until
dry.
Salt in layers and let stand overnight. Scald the vinegar and pour over
the
mixture. Let stand 2 days. Drain again.

Then mix up the following:
1 quart vinegar
3 ounces mustard
1/4 pint mustard seed
3 ounces ground cloves
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon allspice

Bring to a boil. Put the tomatoes/peppers/onions into hot quart jars.
Pour the hot
mixture over the tomatoes. Seal and store.

That's about as basic and as American a recipe you can get.

Johnna Holloway