[Sca-cooks] Panforte was ( Re: Food gifts)

Wed Aug 8 08:27:17 PDT 2001

I doubt if panforte was served year-round, but it keeps well and I suspect
that in the case of the monastery it was a treat for High Holy Days which
were not also fast days.

The specific primary reference is stated to be found in the Miscellanee
Storiche Senesi.  According to my sources, it is the record of a tithe of
"panpepati e mielati" or "pepper and honey bread" on some of the tenants of
the Monastery of Montecellesi in Siena paid on February 7, 1205.

Commonly called "panpepato," the bread became known as "panforte" in the
19th Century, apparently as a trade name to tie the bread to the first large
scale manufacturer in Siena.

My recipe for panforte:

Panforte

2 cups blanched, toasted almonds, coarsely chopped or slivered
1 cup raisins, Zante raisins (currants), or golden raisins
1 cup chopped dates
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup flour

3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons butter

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, set aside.
Grease a 9 to 11 inch springform or tart pan with a removable bottom. Line
it with baker's parchment and grease the parchment.
Combine the sugar, honey and butter in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil

over medium heat. When the syrup is between the soft and firm ball stages
(about 245 degrees F), thoroughly mix the syrup into the dry ingredients to
make a stiff batter.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Spread and smooth it.
Bake in a pre-heated 300 degree F oven for about 40 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool about 15 minutes. Separate the walls from
the base.
Allow the panforte to cool on the base.
Remove from base. Peel off parchment and serve.

Here's another recipe tied off to an SCA feast:

http://www.advancenet.net/~jscole/maidens.htm

Enjoy,

Bear