[Sca-cooks] Sweet corn (OOP)

ruadh ruadh at home.com
Wed Aug 8 10:54:49 PDT 2001

eek - even my cable modem is dragging..... but here is the corn site.
Shoepeg not listed. Read up on the white corns, no dates... sorry. Ru

Zea mays
Origin: Mexico. Annual.
Developed from a weed called "teosinte" centuries ago, corn is a living
tribute to ancient peoples and their breeding efforts. It was first
cultivated in Oaxaca, Mexico over 5,000 years ago, and you can still find it
growing wild in and around fields today. Many of the traditional and
heirloom sweet corns we offer have a combination of sweetness and starch
which give them a hardiness of taste and texture that is also nutritionally
important. The varieties we offer also will grow anywhere in the US, but in
colder, northern climates, choose plants of smaller stature.

Soil & Culture ~ Sweet corn needs rich soil to thrive. Enrich soil heavily
with compost. When danger of frost has passed, sow 1-2 in. deep in rows that
are 3 ft. apart. Plant 2-3 seeds every 12 in. After seedlings reach 3-5 in.
in height, thin to 1 plant per foot. Plant in blocks, clusters, or spirals
of at least four rows to insure best wind pollination. All corn packets
contain 3/4 ounce of seed, approximately 95 to 130 seeds enough to sow about
30 - 45 row feet.

Harvest ~ When corn silk withers and ears are full, it is time to harvest.
Try eating fresh, raw from the stalk for a summer treat.
----
Sweet Corn, Certified Organic Black Aztec

  Sweet Corn, Certified Organic Chires Baby

  Sweet Corn, Certified Organic Hooker's

  Sweet Corn, Certified Organic Rainbow Inca

Sweet Corn, Certified Organic Stowell's

  Sweet Corn, Certified Organic Triple Play

  Sweet Corn, Certified Organic True Gold

----