[Sca-cooks] The Simpsons!

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 9 07:17:35 PDT 2001

Nikki McGeary wrote:

> I just saw an episode of The Simpsons in which Homer's
> car is stranded by the Twin Towers in NYC.  As he
> waits for the parking official, he eats something on a
> stick from a cart vendor, who is obviously supposed to
> be Middle Eastern, and washes it down with crab juice
> (shudder).  It sounds like the man said "Chau Kalash"
> (with guttural initial sounds to the words).  Anyone
> have any idea what that might be, if indeed it is a
> real food?  It sounds awfully familiar for some
> unknown reason...

Nevah hoid of it... Djoo godda problum wid dat?

Isn't crab juice (assuming we're talking about crustaceans and not
merely small apples) Haram (IOW, not Halal; the Islamic equivalent of
treif)? Of course, this could have been a Middle Eastern Christian, I suppose.

But no, that doesn't match the names of any of the "meat-on-a-stick"
entities that I've ever seen anywhere in downtown Manhattan, or
elsewhere.

And then, of course, I should tell you that I have a new business that
recently opened in my neighborhood, on premises wherein both a Burmese
and an Indian restaurant had failed recently. The new place is
apparently a Philippino bakery, but most of their business, at least
now, seems to be generated by their sales of grilled meat on bamboo
skewers out in front of the shop in the evenings. I actually did ask
them what they called the particular dish, while passing recently, and
they told it me it was called, "Barbecued pork!"

Adamantius, who misses the Burmese restaurant
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com